Our radishing, urban vegetable farm grows out of the greenbelt in Nepean and serves West Ottawa. We not only provide consistently fresh and high-quality food, we foster a growing community of lovers of good food.
Part-Time Positions Available
Position: Organic Farming
Farm: BeetBox Co-operative Farm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Eligibility: 30 or younger
Term: early August to mid-October, 2-3 days/week
BeetBox is looking for part-time workers to join our team of young organic vegetable farmers this summer and fall! Come work hard doing something good in a beautiful setting close to home.
About the Job:
- Harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables.
- Planting, weeding, and irrigating crops in the field and greenhouses.
- Set up of the farm store
- Property maintenance
- Other varied tasks around the farm as appropriate
Schedule and Remuneration
- Early August to mid-October
- 2-4 weekdays / week, Thursdays and Fridays required
- 7:00 AM starts
- Experience in farming or other outdoor physical work
- Happy working solo or in a team
- Good physical fitness and stamina – lots of bending, crouching, and lifting required
- Able to do repetitive tasks quickly and precisely
- Happy working in all weather conditions
- Bilingualism is an asset
To qualify, you must be:
- between the ages of 15 and 30 inclusive when the job starts;
- student, unemployed or underemployed;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Our farm is surrounded by forest, right beside the Ottawa river, in Ottawa’s Greenbelt between Nepean and Kanata North
- Learn how to grow food with and for your community
- Stay in shape without going to the gym
- We’ll definitely have extra fresh produce to share with you!
- Opportunity for future employment
- Possibility of becoming a member of the co-op (farm co-owner) within a year or two
How to apply
Send us your resume and 2 references to email@example.com as soon as possible. We need and expect the positions to be filled quickly.
Who is BeetBox?
We are a farmer-owned workers co-operative growing high quality vegetables, ecologically. In 2018, we established a CSA for the lovely people of West Ottawa. In 2019 we started a Farm Store at our location off of Carling. In 2020 we started a seedling sale and community farm and in 2021 we are expanding the farm store with micro-greens, preserves & prepared foods!
The co-op was established in 2017 by three young agrarians: Jeremy Colbeck, Lise-Anne Léveillé, and David Mazur-Goulet.
What makes us different?
- 110 acres right in the city
- Surrounded by forest and a short walk from the very swimmable Ottawa River
- A farm that is financed by its members and the community at large
- Opportunities that lie beyond the six month contract as we grow year after year
- Possibility of living on the farm