VEGBOX CSA TERMS & CONDITIONS
The term and conditions below lay out important information about our VegBox CSA program. When checking out using our CSA management software, localfarm.co, you are accepting these terms and conditions.
Please read through it very carefully before completing the sign up process.
Our VegBox CSA program is based on a very popular model called community-supported agriculture. At its core, CSA is a Partnership between the Members (that’s you!) and the Farmers (that’s us!). Members support their farmer by sharing in the inherent risks of agriculture and its rewards. And, the farmers commit to producing the highest quality food following organic growing practices.
As your farmers, we pledge to provide our members with a unique food experience by creating a community of eaters who value good food and healthy soils. Let’s get into the weeds, shall we?
Our focus is on growing beautiful produce for our CSA members by strictly following the Canadian Organic Standards. This is achieved by:
– Rotating crop families from field to field, year after year
– Sowing cover crops to build soil, break pest cycles, and suppress weeds
– Using specialized insect netting to reduce pest pressure
– Using row covers as protection from early/late frosts
– Growing crops in-soil, in greenhouses, to extend the season and improve yields
– Fertilizing with organic certified amendments only
– Spraying select crops with organic insecticides; as a last resort only
Our harvest season runs for 18 weeks from late June to late October in 2019. You will be contacted by June 15, 2019 with information about the start date of the program as it will depend on the weather. All vegetables are grown at BeetBox unless stated otherwise in the newsletter.
BeetBox will act in good faith to provide fresh organic produce for the 18-week season but we cannot guarantee quantities or box contents on a given week.
Risk Mitigation + Rewards
Mother Nature can sometimes throw curve balls such as poor weather, drought, disease, early frost, crop failure and other natural challenges. We plan and produce a wide variety of crops to insure a steady supply and limit the impact of natural challenges. However, we can never eliminate the risk of growing in a natural climate.
It’s not all bad news! Sometimes we are rewarded with great weather which yields a bumper crop. As a member of the CSA program, you will reap those benefits.
We are committed to sharing news and upcoming box contents through our weekly email newsletter. Add email@example.com to your address book to ensure you receive all our emails.
BeetBox will never sell or share your information. We and our partner, localfarms.co, employ the best practices in cyber security to keep your information safe. We will only send you information that relates to farming, the farm, and our products and services.
Pick up your box
As a CSA member, you must pick up your vegetables on your chosen pickup day, at your chosen pickup location, and during the pickup window. Freshness is fleeting so we only harvest prior to your designated pickup day.
Can’t pick up your box? You have three options:
– Use one of your “vacations” and skip the week. Log in to your locafarms.co account and select the week to skip at least 48 hours before the start of the pickup window. Read more about this option in the “Vacations” section below.
– Have a friend or neighbour pick up your box.
– Donate your box to the Kanata Food Cupboard; our local food bank partner.
There is no refund for unclaimed boxes. Members cannot change their pickup location or pickup day during the CSA program.
Educate yourself about the workings of our CSA program by thoroughly reading through the website and weekly newsletters sent by email. The newsletter contains important information about what’s in the box, news from the farm, and details about the harvest.
Be an Active Participant
We encourage you to become active participants in the CSA Program.
– Join our member-only Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/BeetBoxVegBox/
– Read our weekly newsletter during the box program.
– Visit the farm during CSA pickup times or during pre-planned farm tours and events.
– Share your comments, suggestions and concerns by email or in person.
This is one of the great perks of CSA. You can talk with and shake the hand of the farmer who grew your food!
Pay on time
We accept the following payment methods:
– Cash: In person at an event or dropped off at the farm if arrangements have been made prior.
– Cheque: Made out to “BeetBox Co-op Farm” with your order number on the “memo” line. Mail it to 230 Davidson’s Side Rd, Nepean, ON K2K 2Z4
– Interac e-Transfer: Sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with your 10-digit phone number as the password and your order number in the message section.
All payments must be received before June 15, 2019 or before the program sells out. Late payments may result in a member losing their privilege to participate in the CSA program. BeetBox will send frequent reminders by email and by phone.
Vacations are managed by the localfarm.co system. Log in to your account a select the week you wish to skip at least 48 hours before the start of the pickup window.
Skipping a week will add a credit to your account for one box. You can redeem that box during any subsequent week or keep your credit in the system for the following year.
Number of Vacation Credits:
– Weekly members can skip up to two weeks during the 18-week program.
– Bi-weekly members can skip one of 9 weeks.
Program cancellations before June 15, 2019 will be eligible for a full refund minus a $15 administrative fee.
Program cancellations after June 15th, 2019 cannot be refunded. BeetBox will have spent a majority of the funds to buy supplies and pay wages for crops started as early as March. Members are encouraged to find a replacement and collect payment from that person. We cannot guarantee assistance in finding a replacement as we are very busy with the production and harvest at this time of year.
BeetBox has the right to cancel a membership with a full refund minus a $15 administrative fee if the member goes against the farm’s code of conduct as written in this agreement.
Code of Conduct
The BeetBox Code of Conduct is one of the ways we put our values into practice. We expect all of our members, farmers, staff, and volunteers to know and follow the Code. Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action, including termination of employment or membership to the CSA program.
Our reputation as a farm that our members can trust is our most valuable asset, and it is up to all farmers to make sure that we continually earn that trust.
Let’s celebrate our differences. Live and let live.
Be courteous and polite towards one another. We never know how others are feeling or what they are going through on a given day. Maintain a space where folks can pick up their vegetables in peace, chat with their neighbours, or relax on the farm.
Give a ring at (613) 416-9171 where you’ll reach either David or Jeremy. You can also email us at email@example.com.
Accepting these Terms and Conditions
By accepting these terms and conditions you:
– Are agreeing to participate in the BeetBox Co-operative Farm VegBox CSA program.
– Understand the terms and conditions explained above and are willing to accept the risks.
– Will pick up or arrange for pick up of your box each week or every other week (if applicable).
– Understand refunds are only issued as per the conditions listed above.
– Appreciate locally grown, produce free synthetic pesticides and want to ensure that it remains available in my area by becoming a member in BeetBox’s CSA program.
– Understand that nature ultimately decides what you will receive and when you will receive it, as a member in both the bounty and the risk.
– Understand that BeetBox will do their best to provide the sustainably produced vegetable varieties they propose at the times they estimate.